Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Pointers: February 22, 2010 Edition

D4:Chronicles of Drenai RPG

The late David Gemmell wrote great swords and sorcery. His longest, and I suspect most popular series, was the Drenai series. I was introduced to it via Legend when Gary Gygax's New Infinities Productions published it as Against the Horde. Now, Dareil over at The Madman's Cave gives us an RPG purpose built for that world. It has some interesting ideas, such as combat being a save against fear and your "score" as a product of your points for both heroic and anti-heroic actions. In spirit it reminds me a lot of Pendragon because it provides mechanics for the kinds of passions that drive Gemmell's characters. Well worth a look for those interested in swords and sorcery and experimental ideas.

D6:The Lost Fort: Roman and Medieval History

My historical interests via the SCA and boffer LARPS is sub-Roman and Anglo-Saxon England. This website is a great source for someone interested in that period by Gabriele Campbell. The pictures alone qualify as an entire blog of inspirational images for RPGers. I appologize to whoever in the OSR bloggosphere first posted this because I forgot to put it in my notes.

D8:Some Considerations of Polite Society

I'm of two minds on this post. One, I'm glad to see more people taking up the idea that RPG groups should meet basic standards of courtesy even if the stereotype and expectations of the gaming community are otherwise. In fact, that we should even as society is abandoning them. On the other hand, that we need it seems to reinforce the fact that Miss Manners Wouldn't Play D&D. On the gripping hand, the battle to restore etiquette, dark or otherwise, in our culture at learge and our community in particular can always use a new leader.

D10:How Many Books Will You Need for a Decade of Gaming

If you're Chris that number is five. Think about it, he got a decade of playing out of five books. That's old school and doubly so when you read the books he used.

D12:Play Style and "Fun"

Meanwhile, one of our young ones (who I don't want off my lawn but maybe she could mow it while she's over) takes on the theory geeks with some practical rules on playstyles. A lot of them are basics we probably know but don't think about. They also point out something we should remember when we discuss what "old school" means. It's not one playstyle but a bunch of mostly compatible. If Oddysey is the future of our hobby my great-grand kids will be playing D&D in a traditional style.

D13:People Link to Me

While I love being linked to I feel bad when I brag about it. So, at the very least I can make it a D13. That said, both of my posts this past Saturday were picked up at Old School Rant. I'm listed under "The Bad" but I think that's because my PDF topic is about what's wrong not that I'm wrong.

And that's a Monday wrap. If this isn't the biggest pointers (excluding the D13) it must be close. This week will have a delayed post in the Silver Age series (it was supposed to be this weekend while baby sitting server upgrades but the PDF rant pushed its way in instead). I have four of the things outlined so one should be finished already. We'll also have inspirational art, either a buried treasure or a review, and hopefully a follow-up from Dream Pod 9 (maybe we'll hear from White Wolf on the topic too).

No comments:

Post a Comment