Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The cost of plate now makes sense

I was reading Moldvay Basic this morning and I made a correlation that explained something. I had never understood why plate mail was so cheap (60gp) in B/X (and then BECMI and most of the clones) that a fighter will generally have it by second level with the normal treasure/creatures XP ratio and may have it as a starting character.

Here are the prices of armor in B/X:







ArmorCost
Leather20gp
Chain40gp
Platemail60gp
Shield10gp

Which, when combined with AC gives us the following chart:

DescriptionACCostCost per -1 from AC 9
Clothing only90gp0gp
Shield only810gp10gp
Leather720gp10gp
Leather and shield630gp10gp
Chain540gp10gp
Chain and shield450gp10gp
Platemail360gp10gp
Platemail and shield270gp10gp

The result is a nice, linear cost per gain in AC. This leaves me the option of finding true historical costs or creating my own mapping. Perhaps basing it on the square of the gain:

DescriptionACCostCost per -1 from AC 9
Clothing only90gp0gp
Shield only810gp10gp
Leather720gp10gp
Leather and shield630gp10gp
Chain580gp20gp
Chain and shield490gp18gp
Platemail3180gp30gp
Platemail and shield2190gp27gp

Combined with my idea of awarding one XP per SP (and also reducing found treasure to 1/10 of the books list) that would mean a fighter would probably get platemail sometime between 3 and 4th level, which is consistent with my objectives.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting observation - although I think you might have a typo in the first chart regarding the price of platemail up there. 20gp? Oh, and on the second table - the ACs.

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested in the historical numbers the ACKS guys claim the b/x default is more accurate than you'd expect

    http://autarch.co/forum/topic/linear-cost-of-armor

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Arkhein: Thanks for the catch.

    @graham: I'll take a look (I can't at work) before I comment further.

    ReplyDelete