Sunday, February 15, 2009

How my brain works, gaming edition

A long, long time ago (okay, mid-2007) I read this thread which I prompted reposted/expanded here and while I did some ground work it withered.

After the success of Friday's start to my old school D&D game I began thinking about running a second game using Traveller and then just as a space game. I remembered the thread above and realize I'd love to run it. But I wanted to remove all trace of its fore bearers. Where to get names/structure then?

So, today I'm read articles at The Pope Center and realize I never read part three of a series on post-literate students. I didn't understand the reference to Iphigenia (not being exactly well read myself) which lead me to the Wikipedia article on her which sufficiently jogged my memory. It also got me reading synopses of the various plays concerning the tragedy of Agamemnon's family from the sacrifice of Iphigenia to her rescue (or to the trial of Orestes depending on which dramatist you're reading) and I realized here is a source I can twist to my story without carrying the preconceptions Star Wars.

The usurping Empress is killed by her son who fell in love with his sister who in love with his best friend. Close enough to the perverted SW to full the whole campaign. Now to read Oresteia of Aeschylus (Agamemnon, Choephori, Eumenides), the Electra of Sophocles, the Electra, Iphigeneia in Tauris, and Orestes of Euripides, and maybe Morning Becomes Electra of O'Neill as well as at least some of the Dune books again.

Oh, and find a system (not the old TSR Marvel...Star Wars Saga might work but would I fall back into my same issues)...also, keep lightsabers or replace them with mono-filament wire swords?

No comments:

Post a Comment